Tuesday 13 September 2016

“My English Language Learning Journey” 

Winston Churchill once wrote success is not final, and failure is not fatal. A poignant reminder that success lied in an individuals determination to succeed despite the odds stacked up against us. Diagnosed with dyslexia at an early age, learning had always proved to be a challenging task for me particularly in the field of English. My difficulty in English soon proved to be a mounting obstacle for me, as English became harder to grasp and concepts more difficult to understand over the years and course of my studies. With the large emphasis placed on English as our first language, my parents grew increasingly worried with my persistent struggles in the language. Determined not to let my struggles in the language affect my determination to succeed and through the help and support of my parents whom sought help and found new ways to help improve my English. However, being young and immature at the time I failed to understand the paramount importance of English and my struggles in the language that would once again surface in Secondary School. Once again realizing the stark importance of English in secondary three for my N and O levels and the crucial role it played on my results, I once again turned my focus to doing well in English. This once again sparked my desire to continue improving on the language and my determination not to let my dyslexia in English  and in anything I set my mind to do and prevent me from achieving and attaining success later on in life. "It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop" Confucius

3 comments:

  1. Hi Barry,

    Good to hear that you have the determination to overcome the problem. Though I read something from a previous blog regarding continuous learning. The toughness of things is just not going to stop here. It is going to get tougher and so the saying goes "When the going gets tough, the tough gets going".

    However, I feel that the reflection you wrote could be better organised by paragraphing.

    Nevertheless, it was still a good read. Don't give in easily to problems that you encounter in future too.

    -Clifton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Barry,

    First of all, I enjoyed reading through the blog post on your English Language Learning Journey. You have expressed your feelings and shared your experiences throughout your learning journey. I can feel the strong determination and perseverance that you possess to overcome your difficulties and using the words of Sir Winston Churchill and Confucius as your motivation in striving forward in your learning journey.

    However, I do hope you would continue your learning journey as there are still a lot to learn and discover the various aspects of English Language.

    All in all, it was a pleasure reading your blog post and thanks for sharing your learning journey.

    Regards,
    Johnny Tan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sup Barry,
    Overall, your reflection was quite pleasant to read. I liked how you quoted Winston Churchill and Confucius to further enhance and promote your points in your reflection.
    However, that being said, some of your sentences seems to be quite long with the constant use of the word "and". Perhaps it would have been better to split up the sentence in two.
    Nonetheless, it was a good effort, keep it up!

    - Chun Kai

    ReplyDelete