Saturday 19 November 2016

Barry’s Reflection on Oral Presentation
Margaret J. Wheatley once said, “Without reflection, we go blindly on our way, creating more unintended consequences, and failing to achieve anything useful”. My recent experience in oral presentation has allowed me to critically reflect on my performance and further improve upon my oral presentation skills. By investing time into reflecting on my performance, this has enabled me to better understand my weaknesses and allow to better leverage on my strengths for future presentations. Through reflecting upon my individual performance and the comments I received from my teacher and peers, I have gained a better insight and understanding regarding my weaknesses during my recent presentation. My weaknesses in presentation has always lied in the pace and fluency of my speech, which may hinder the overall effectiveness of my presentation on a whole. Moreover, my lack of emotion during the course of my speech is also something I hope to work and improve upon for future presentations. However, through my reflections I have also realized the strengths present during the course of my presentation that I should continue to leverage upon, such as my confidence and good eye contact present during my speech, acquired through the numerous practice and mock presentations that my group and I did. Overall, I personally felt that it was through our numerous practice sessions that enabled us to do well for this presentation, and hopefully what I have learned during this oral presentation can be carried forward to subsequent presentations in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Barry,

    I am glad that you always reflect on your performances and seek to improve on your shortcomings. In fact, during the recent oral presentation, I find that you speak fluently and showed good eye contact with the audience. I hope that you will carry on learning and improving your weaknesses in presentations. And I believe that you and your team can do our class proud in the upcoming presentation showcase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi barry,

    In recent showcase to the other lecturers, you had really show a great change in the way of presentation. The confidence level and eye contact you give off to the audience really affects us positively. In a way that no matter what you are going to present to us next is really the next big thing or the best solution in the market. This is something that i am learning from you, to be confident in front of crowd and speaking up confidently.I agree with you that for the first presentation you did in class was a been more authoritative and firm approach due to the lack of emotion. This has also been an area which I find myself lacking. However in the recent showcase, I felt that you are actually more expressive and smile more during the presentation. It felt better compared to the first showcase. This goes to show that you had really take the reflection seriously to overcome your weaknesses.

    Wei Cun

    ReplyDelete